DevDmBootstrap3

Twitter Bootstrap 3 WordPress Starter Theme for Developers

Home Community Child Theme Swatcher How to customize Swatcher?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  danny 5 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

otravers
    Participant

Hi, I’ve started using Devdmbootstrap3 with the Swatcher child theme but I’m not sure how to customize code while preserving the ability to install any future update of the Swatcher child. Can I create a child theme of a child theme? Mostly I’m making changes/additions to functions.php.

danny
    Keymaster

Hey Olivier,

There is only so far one can go with putting on layers of customization. Child theme of child theme doesn’t exist yet so my promise to you will be extensive documentation of any Swatcher Updates with a clearly detailed and defined list of ALL changes so that you can implement them on your project.

At this point I am only kicking around two features and it isn’t’ moving very fast. So I wouldn’t worry. 🙂

You might simply section off your custom functions.php code and put it all at the bottom so you can quickly chop it out if there is an update.

otravers
    Participant

Ok, I’ve put all my customized code in an include so it’s just one line to carry over whenever you’ll update the child theme.

I’ve got another question: is there a way I can override css default values set by Bootstrap (say for navbar colors) without editing the Bootstrap core files? I’m loading my own CSS file but it’s not overriding whatever classes are already defined in Bootstrap.

danny
    Keymaster

Hey Oliver,

Change the 100 to a 10 on this line in your functions.php

add_action( ‘wp_enqueue_scripts’, ‘dmbs_swatcher_dequeue_enqueue_scripts’, 100 );

danny
    Keymaster

Scratch that. It isn’t going to work as it forgets to dequeue the original bootstrap file. Let me try some other things.

danny
    Keymaster

Okay add this to the bottom of the “dmbs_swatcher_dequeue_enqueue_scripts” function.

So that entire function looks like this.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.