Merry Christmas everyone. I hope you are all going to have a nice Holiday Season with friends and family no matter what or where you are celebrating.
This theme update accomplished two tasks:
Note for Translations: With the included search results logic there is a NEW string of text to translate “Search Results.” I’ve updated the en_US.po and en_US.mo files to reflect this.
A big thank you to all of you for taking the time to give me feed back and participating in the forums with your tips and tricks.
Earlier this year I redeveloped my affiliate costume store from the ground up. Costume-Depot.com got a full overhaul from the back end to the front end. It is pretty slick and you should really go check it out. However affiliate marketing is pretty tough these days. I’m not particularly gifted with advertising and marketing knowledge or even a lick of business sense for myself. So for me to bring value to my affiliate customers I’ve taken the full transparency approach. I don’t hide what the sites are and I don’t try to trick people.
That being said I had to ask myself the question, “How do I bring eye balls to my costume store?” Enter: TinyWitch.
With as much fun as I had with kaBOOM! I knew that game development was something I was going to explore a lot more. Specifically I was going to be targeting HTML5 Games as it is “What I know.” I looked at a few different HTML5 frameworks for making games and even tried to make some stuff without one. In the end I settled on Phaser 2.0. Phaser is AWESOME and the HTML5 game development community around it are all a great bunch of folks who help one another.
So with my new tools it was time to try and make something. I figured I would start out with something basic and Halloween-ish. A simple time waster type of game you could play for a little bit and stop. I settled on the classic arcade style shooter. This enabled me to learn the fundamentals of Phaser and also of game development in general. As many games as I have played throughout my life I never until know really had to sit down and be in that creative drivers seat. So it was a new experience for me.
Understanding the core mechanics of “how a game works” came pretty quickly to me. It is mostly pretty intuitive if you have been programming for a long time. The update loop, building functions to destroy, create and move assets around was easy to conceptualize.
I also knew I wanted to have that “App Store experience” so I was determined to port TinyWitch to the Google Play store. I used ludei’s CocoonJS builder to package up my game and build the APK.
So check it out @ http://tinywitch.devdm.com or download it to your Android Device on the Playstore. Hope you can have a little fun with it.
In migrating my blog over to my DevDmBootstrap3 WordPress theme I created this child theme you are seeing now. I’m calling it ‘cleanblog’ and I’m making it available for others to use in their projects.
A new version of Bootstrap (3.2.0) came out last month on June 26th. You can read about it on the Bootstrap Blog here.
I’m glad there was a new release as DevDmBootstrap3 was starting to look like a dead project on the theme directory. This isn’t true as we are still seeing downloads all the time. I’m fielding new emails every week with people asking questions and contributing to making things better. So I’m happy that we are now able to push out an update to make our “Lasted Updated” date a little more current.
I also added one conditional function check for “devdmbootstrap3_wp_title” inside the functions.php file.
Thanks to user chicchera for pointing this out to me. We are now checking to see if the “devdmbootstrap3_wp_title” function exists before we use it. This enables people to overwrite it easily. I debated adding conditionals for the devdmbootstrap3_theme_js and devdmbootstrap3_theme_stylesheets functions but the wp_dequeue and wp_enqueue systems are in place for that.
I’ve also gone through the entire site here updating screen shots, code and added more information where I could.
We also have a new translation available!
Thanks to Ciprian @ http://brainie.ro/ for providing us a Romanian translation.
The child theme has been updated to include the new LESS file structure with the 3.2.0 update. I’ve also included the fonts directory with the child theme. The fonts were breaking for some users who were compiling the LESS files and using wp_dequeue_style to remove the parent themes’ CSS. We were also double including the parent theme’s css file with an @include so that has been removed.